Re: gEDA-user: Problems with a TDSON8 footprint

Rob Butts wrote:

> I'm attaching the symbol

There is nothing in the symbol that makes it known to gnetlist about
the fact that some pins should be connected by copper. The green lines
are eye candy. They mean nothing to gnetlist. Of course, you can connect
the pins in the schematic.

> and am laying out the board.  None of the pins that
> tie to the big pad are orange, only the big pad and when I click on the
> board the orange goes away.

Probably, all the pads in the footprint have different numbers. I guess,
that the "big pad" is meant for cooling and it shortens some of the small
pads. gnetlist knows nothing about this big pad. In particular, it knows
nothing about its pin number. So it assumes, the big pad is supposed to be
unconnected. This means, the big pad does not appear in the netlist. The
copper of the footprint connects the big pad with some of the smaller
pads that actually have a net. PCB concludes, this is a short and paints
the offending pad orange.

To make it known to gnetlist+PCB that some pins are connected inside the
device, you should attach the same pin number to all of the connected pads.

My recommendation: Use a generic MOSFET symbol and make the pins of
TDSON8.fp fit the pin numbers of the generic symbol. For an example, see
my SO8 footprint for a MOSFET

power MOSFET footprint in SO8 shape
http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/kai_martin_knaak/footprints/specific/SO8_FET.fp

works with symbol: