Re: gEDA-user: PCB-1.6.3 in KDE

Eric Winsor <eric.winsor@sdl.usu.edu> said:

> Eric Winsor wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to learn PCB, but I am finding that nothing much is
> > working.  I am using PCB-1.6.3 and have the PCB manual and the command
> > reference sheet.  But, doing things like <tab> to change the side of the
> > board displayed or using the function keys to change modes doesn't
> > work.  Most frustrating, I can double click on a part in the pcb-library
> > window and drag its lite-blue outline around but I can't place it on the
> > layout with any mouse button.  I am thinking that this is some problem
> > with interfacing with KDE.  Any ideas anyone?
> >
> > Eric Winsor
> OK,  I have tried several window managers (strip down basic kinds too)
> and I get the same results.  So I must have a build or configuration
> problem.

This sounds like a case of missing application defaults. Just about everything
in PCB is controlled by X-resources.  As part of startup, PCB reads
`/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Pcb' or a similar file, if this file is
missing or corrupted, then you could see this behaviour.  One of the steps in
building PCB is to mangle a master version of this file with m4 (or perl?) to
create the file that actually gets installed, check your build directory or
package to see if the file is correctly installed.

                              Mike Jarabek
                                FPGA/ASIC Designer
   http://www.doncaster.on.ca/~mjarabek