Re: gEDA-user: What is the standard of gEDA tools and PCB

Thanks! and When can i start to generate the Gerber. I have pressed the rat net and rip it all. So it finished? Further steps are needed in order to use Gerber? Gerber is a program to read the layout, it is not a file format, am i right?

From: sdb@cloud9.net (Stuart Brorson)
To: geda-user@seul.org
Subject: Re: gEDA-user: What is the standard of gEDA tools and PCB
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 07:30:59 -0400 (EDT)

> Dear all,
>

> Using gschem to edit schematics can only read by itself? How about we use
> other windows tools or Linux tools to read it and continue edit?

There is no standard schematic capture file format. All schematic
capture packages of which I am aware use their own file format.
Perhaps some might import the formats of others, but as a general rule
each schematic capture program's file format is unique to that program.

> IF I take the PCB to fab the layout by other factory, what should i generate
> and give to them? What I want to know is the STANDARD!

After you are done drafting the design's schematic, you netlist it.
Then you import the netlist into a layout program to lay out the board
(i.e. create the physical design for the PCB.) The typical gEDA
layout program is called "PCB". The output of PCB program (after
layout) is typically a set of "Gerber files". This is an IEEE
standard, and it is the Gerber files which you take to the PCB fab
house for manufacturing.

Here is the design flow, reading from top to bottom.

Action Program Resulting File
Schematic capture gschem .sch
Netlist gnetlist depends upon backend
layout PCB Gerber