Re: gEDA-user: solder masks, etc.

On May 11, 2004, at 8:28 PM, Dan McMahill wrote:

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 12:42:17PM -0700, David Koski wrote:
Also, I have only done prototypes without solder masks so far. What is the
"right" amount of mask? I noticed that even library footprints vary as can be
seen in the file referenced above.
There isn't really a "right" amount. A conservative rule would be to have a 5 mil
soldermask relief around the pads, so for example a 20 x 20 mil square pad would
have a (5 + 20 + 5) x (5 + 20 + 5) square soldermask opening. Another rule
would be to ensure at least 5 mils of soldermask (not the relief, but where the
soldermask is) between pads. Now, clearly on a fine pitch part with a 20 mil
pin pitch, you can't have 15 of those 20 mils taken up with soldermask opening
and soldermask. In those cases, I've used a 5 mil clearance and removed the
(now less than 5 mils) of any remaining soldermask between pads.
Dan has a good point here. It depends how your part is being used.

If you are hand-soldering or wave-soldering, check with your board house to find the minimum relief they will process, and go with that. On the other hand, if you don't have to worry about fine pitch parts, you can go with a larger soldermask and not worry too much if it isn't perfectly aligned.

Advanced Circuits (4pcb.com) will sometimes oversize your soldermask layer by 10 mils if it looks like you didn't allow enough relief. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. YMMV.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple@ghz.cc