Re: gEDA-user: Compiling Icarus Varilog

Mark Allyn wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have been trying to compile the Icarus Varilog compiler
> under G++ and GCC version 4.0.3 (on Ubuntu). I get lots
> of errors almost immediately in the compile.
>
> It seems that some of the basic constructs are violating
> G++.

This is a problem of a constantly changing C++ compiler. The 4.0
compiler was far more stringent about certain constructs than
previous versions of the compiler.

I'm pretty sure that sometime soon Steve will update Icarus
for the 4.0 compiler. Until then you should use an earlier
compiler, maybe 3.3 or 3.4.

If you are running a distribution like Debian or Ubuntu, you
can install more that one compiler at a time and choose between
as needed.

> Or should I be considering another GNU/Free varilog compiler?

No.

> Is Icarus still the standard in open source varilog?

Yes.

In fact, if precompiled binaries exist for your distribution
(ie they do exist for Debian and Ubuntu) you should just install
them.

HTH,
Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo
Java sucks. C sucks slightly less so, but only because it makes
no pretense at all about being a high level language.