gEDA-user: Re: gEDA: New PostScript back-end checked in

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 10:39:57PM -0400, Mike Jarabek wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 	The long wait is over.  I have just committed the changes to enable
> improved PostScript output.  From my test file I get on the order of 50%
> reduction in output size.  Major changes include:

This is great!

> Features remaining to implement:
>
> 	- Overbar support for Postscript output text.  This needs to have a
> special `show' command to be written in the prolog.  The show command
> has to interpret the `\_' escapes and draw overbar segments on the
> rendered letters if needed.
>
> 	- Cleanup of o_*_print() functions to remove unneded offset parameters.
>
> Give it a try, please let me know if there are any regressions or things
> broken.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

Why not handle it in the code that emits the text instead of trying to
have postscript work out the escapes?  I think you'll need the Adobe Font
Metric data for Helvetica.   I guess the second option would be to handle
it in combination of C and postscript.  Parse the escapes in C and
then use your specialized show_with_overbar only to draw the portion
of the text that has the overbar.

Eric