Re: gEDA-user: gEDA upgrade

On Wednesday 02 May 2007, Ed & Angie S. wrote:
>  Can I install the newer version into a single directory so
> as to not overwrite any of the previous version and then
> simply change my search path to prioritize the new version?

The usual procedure for things like this is that stuff installed
by the package manager goes in /usr (that
is .. /usr/bin, /usr/share, and so on) and stuff installed
separately without the package manager goes in /usr/local (that
is .. /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share, and so on).  Most
tarballs, install disks, and the like default to doing exactly
this.  Therefore, just install it.  It will do what you want.
Just make sure that /usr/local/bin appears in the $PATH
before /usr/bin .