gEDA-user: gEDA upgrade

I'm currently using an older version of gEDA that comes with Debian Sarge as a Debian package.  I will upgrade to Etch soon, however, the Debian etch gEDA package is dated (10202006) and it sounds like lots of good stuff has been improved since then.  I've downloaded the gEDA 20070221 CD and would like to install this newer version yet, be able to revert to the older version if something goes wrong with the install.  Can I install the newer version into a single directory so as to not overwrite any of the previous version and then simply change my search path to prioritize the new version?

Thanks for your help.

Ed