gEDA-user: [icarus] completely open source fpga toolchain

So, now that the abits work is published [1] I plan on turning my
attention to "connecting the dots", so to speak.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to
implement PAR by hand (VPR has licensing issues, and there are far
more architecture-portable algorithms now anyways [2]).

Moving up the stack one more level: are there any open-source
synthesis (ie technology mapping) tools out there?  How
Xilinx-specific is Icarus' mapper?  How much effort is it likely to
take to retarget it to Atmel CLB's?  My first impulse is to start with
that, but I figured I'd check here in case anybody has any hints on a
better route to take.

Thanks,

  - a

[1] http://research.cs.berkeley.edu/project/slipway/