Re: gEDA-user: Does anybody know an open source vhdl-ams simulator?

On Thursday 17 May 2007, Svenn Are Bjerkem wrote:
> I have just googled around for a vhdl-ams simulator, and I
> only find very expencive ones. Is it really no F/OSS vhdl-ams
> simulator out there?
>
> I know Al is working on Verilog-AMS in gnucap, but is that
> the only F/OSS Verilog-AMS initiative out there?

The difference is in the parser.  Both have essentially the same
underlying algorithms.  Where you find one, eventually you will
find the other.

There was a start from University of Cincinnati a few years ago.
As far as I know, it was only a start, and has not been
developed past the initial proof of concept.  According to its
creator, the performance was very slow, and it was a subset.

That is the only one I know of.

If you want to help with gnucap, you can make it happen.

What the simulator takes directly will be determined by a
plug-in.

I am doing Verilog first because I see a higher demand for it,
and because it is less verbose and so is a more reasonable
replacement for the Spice format with manually generated
netlists.

When the language plug-in mechanism is working, which will be
soon, it is reasonable to do plug-ins for other languages.
After doing the first one, I expect others such as VHDL to be
easy.

What the simulator takes directly will always be a subset.  A
more complete version of any language will use the model
compiler.  Here too, I am doing Verilog first (actually second)
because I see a higher demand, and it should be relatively
simple to change the front-end to accept other languages that
are similar in concept, such as VHDL.

The model compiler generates C++, which is then compiled into a
model plug-in, that can be attached when needed.  Most of this
part is already working.

I see needs for the following other formats:
VHDL
Spectre
MAST
Touchstone
PCB (without crosstalk)
gschem
QUCS
HSPICE
PSPICE

There are some others that need more than simple translation:
IBIS (90% done)
more detail from PCB (with crosstalk)

The simulator core is not locked into any language.  All will
use plug-ins.  All that exist will be equal in the sense of
using a similar plug-in, that stores in the same data
structures.

Does anyone want to help???  What is needed is to make the
plug-ins and compiler front-ends for the other languages.
After the first one is solid, you can use it as a model to make
others.

I see big opportunities here, but I can't do it alone.

al.