Re: gEDA-user: Does anybody know an open source vhdl-ams simulator?

On 5/17/07, al davis <ad136@freeelectron.net> wrote:
Does anyone want to help???  What is needed is to make the
plug-ins and compiler front-ends for the other languages.
After the first one is solid, you can use it as a model to make
others.

I see big opportunities here, but I can't do it alone.

I had the dream that I could use Signs VHDL environment for Eclipse
and extend it with VHDL-AMS capabilities to use an open source
simulator to do real mixed signal. This way I would use the same
environment to write the code (Eclipse) as to manage the HDL (Signs)
and eventually extend Eclipse with schematic capture capabilities to
get the schematics.

I guess a lot of developers will frown upon this, but I think Java and
Eclipse is the best fit to develop integrated development environments
also for electronic circuits. Steven Rubin of Staticfreesoft
(Electric) also went from c to java (via qt3) and found it a whole lot
easier to get the things right in Java.

The reason for me to wish to use Eclipse is that it is both an editor
and an environment written in a language that has some "rationale". I
know xemacs is a cool IDE, but it is lisp, and not so easy to attract
programmers.

--
Svenn