Re: gEDA-user: Does anybody know an open source vhdl-ams simulator?

On Friday 18 May 2007, Svenn Are Bjerkem wrote:
> I guess a lot of developers will frown upon this, but I think
> Java and Eclipse is the best fit to develop integrated
> development environments also for electronic circuits. Steven
> Rubin of Staticfreesoft (Electric) also went from c to java
> (via qt3) and found it a whole lot easier to get the things
> right in Java.

If you want to use Eclipse, that's ok.  It a bad idea to require
it, or any other particular development environment.

If a plug-in interface to Eclipse is useful, that is fine with
me.  Anything compiled in, even if it can be turned off, even
if it is off by default, isn't good.

I can understand Steve Rubin's comment that Java is more
productive that C.  C++ offers most of the same advantages and
more.  The biggest downside of C++ that I see is that beginners
can be overwhelmed by it if they try to see it all at once.
Java is a reasonable subset of C++, with some syntax changes.

I would not be surprised if the reason for choosing Java over
C++ is pressure from Sun.

After I moved gnucap (then ACS) to C++ from C, things got a
whole lot easier.  Things got easier again when STL became
mature enough to use, when templates really worked ....  Even
the old C++ without all that helped.

The move from Ratfor to C helped a lot too, but that is ancient
history.

On the other hand ... the ACS move to C++ was one factor in
spawning NG-spice.