Re: gEDA-user: speaker reconing?

Christian Treldal wrote:
> ons, 23 05 2007 kl. 23:44 -0400, skrev Darryl Gibson:
>
> <snip
>
>> Since we are OT, and on the subject of speakers, has anybody heard how
>> to recone a speaker? I've heard it can be done, but haven't found any
>> info. on it?
>>

> It can be done. I've done it several times with PA speakers, but not
> recently. Today the magic word are electronic crossovers;-)
>
> Here is a Danish guy who has a lot of experience.
>
> http://basrep.dk/
>
> off course in a beautiful Danish

I haven't done a reconing, but the rubber gasket around the sides of
speaker cone often dries out and flakes away (on woofers).  Ebay has
some vendors that will sell you a kit for $25 or so.  What's involved is
scraping off the old gasket and gluing a new one in its place.  It's not
that hard (takes an hour or two).  The key is to make sure you use the
spacers provided to make sure the back of the cone (the part with the
coil), is centered around the magnet.

Steve