Re: gEDA-user: Ammeter and voltmeter symbols

On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 13:19 -0700, David Griffith wrote:
> On Sun, 4 May 2008, Peter Clifton wrote:

> > Thanks for the pointer to the symbols,
>
> No problem!  What are the criteria for getting a symbol into the regular
> distribution?

Short answer: Check with Ales if they can go in.

Long answer:

There haven't been any additions for a while now, and the shipped
libraries are in a minor state of chaos.

At some point, we should have a big cleanup of symbols and re-evaluate
which are shipped, but that can't be done until we can figure out how to
proceed without upsetting users existing schematics.

Ales and I chatted about cutting the symbol libraries down, moving more
to a "geda-symbols-contrib" package which could be optionally installed,
but there is also a desire to replace some existing symbols with
prettier versions. Whether or not this can be done without breaking
things is unknown.

Breakage aside, library maintenance is a huge and potentially boring
task not many people seem to want to do.. we may never clean it up!

Since these meters are quite common items, I guess there is more chance
we can include them (assuming they are appropriately licensed
(http://geda.seul.org/license.html)

"All symbols released with gEDA/gaf are covered under the GPL with the
following exception clause:

        As a special exception, if you create a design which uses this
        symbol, and embed this symbol or unaltered portions of this
        symbol into the design, this symbol does not by itself cause the
        resulting design to be covered by the GNU General Public
        License. This exception does not however invalidate any other
        reasons why the design itself might be covered by the GNU
        General Public License. If you modify this symbol, you may
        extend this exception to your version of the symbol, but you are
        not obligated to do so. If you do not wish to do so, delete this
        exception statement from your version.
"

Best wishes,

--