Re: gEDA-user: Ammeter and voltmeter symbols

On Sun, 4 May 2008, Peter Clifton wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 13:19 -0700, David Griffith wrote:
> > On Sun, 4 May 2008, Peter Clifton wrote:
>
> > > Thanks for the pointer to the symbols,
> >
> > No problem!  What are the criteria for getting a symbol into the regular
> > distribution?
>
> Short answer: Check with Ales if they can go in.
>
> Long answer:
>
> There haven't been any additions for a while now, and the shipped
> libraries are in a minor state of chaos.
>
> At some point, we should have a big cleanup of symbols and re-evaluate
> which are shipped, but that can't be done until we can figure out how to
> proceed without upsetting users existing schematics.
>
> Ales and I chatted about cutting the symbol libraries down, moving more
> to a "geda-symbols-contrib" package which could be optionally installed,
> but there is also a desire to replace some existing symbols with
> prettier versions. Whether or not this can be done without breaking
> things is unknown.
>
> Breakage aside, library maintenance is a huge and potentially boring
> task not many people seem to want to do.. we may never clean it up!

Suppose M4 library support is discontinued in favor of newlib.  What
potential troubles would be caused?  How feasable would a conversion
script be?  On the problems of breakage, I think the benefits outweigh the
drawbacks.  The M4 library will keep accumulating cruft otherwise.

I think we should embark on a yearlong project to assemble and verify a
basic symbol set.  Each person would be assigned n symbols, and
potentially more if they want.  We could start with identifying what
should be in the set.  There are a lot of needless duplicates in there
now.

> Since these meters are quite common items, I guess there is more chance
> we can include them (assuming they are appropriately licensed
> (http://geda.seul.org/license.html)

That won't be a problem.

--
David Griffith