Re: gEDA-user: selection quirk, and placement guidelines

At 10:24 AM 5/5/2008, you wrote:
>I've noticed an odd behavior with PCB when moving things about. Right
>now I'm just moving footprints around on the board, I have not laid down
>any traces. When I started working this morning I would grab objects
>and there would be a red outline showing how the object followed my
>cursor. This was true whether I was moving the footprint or just the
>label. At some point during the morning this red outline behavior
>stopped. I can move objects, but the helpful outline is missing.  Is
>this triggered by some hot key I may have bumped?  I looked in the
>documentation, but could not find anything.
>
>Speaking of placement, can you give me a few pointers on spacing of
>components?  For example, if I have a few DIP sockets side by side, what
>is the closest practical placement assuming trace routing is not an
>issue?  How about for placing resistors (R025 footprint)? The default
>grid is 10 mils -- does it make sense to increase this to, say, 50 mils
>for placing components then return to 10 for placing traces? I am not
>using surface mount devices on this project.

I has been a *really* long time since I used a DIP socket, but I want
to say you can't place them any closer than 100 mils between pins,
and I'm not sure you can get them that close.  A lot of headers are
designed to be "stacked" end to end and form a continuous 100 mil
spacing of pins.  But I want to say you can't necessarily do that
with DIP sockets.  The plastic around the metal pin gets too
thin.  So you can use whatever grid you want, but you need to space
the component according to the physical constraints.  Do you know the
sizes of the sockets?   If you were placing DIPs without sockets, I
would use a 100 mil grid to make things simple.