Re: gEDA-user: selection quirk, and placement guidelines

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 10:24 AM, James Moody <moody@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Speaking of placement, can you give me a few pointers on spacing of
>  components?  For example, if I have a few DIP sockets side by side, what
>  is the closest practical placement assuming trace routing is not an
>  issue?  How about for placing resistors (R025 footprint)? The default
>  grid is 10 mils -- does it make sense to increase this to, say, 50 mils
>  for placing components then return to 10 for placing traces? I am not
>  using surface mount devices on this project.

In general --- for TH components I would place on a 50mil grid and route on
a 25mil grid. For SMD I would place on a 25mil grid and route on a 10mil
grid.

For spacing 1/4W resistors I would do 50mils mininum. 100mils is
generous and should
be very easy to assemble.

What you may want to do is 1:1 printout. Place the components on the paper
and see if it works for assembly process.

If your using the silkscreen body outline as a placement guide make
sure it matches your components ;-)

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org