Re: gEDA-user: Symbols again

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Ian Chapman <ichapman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi and thanks for the last helpful suggestion that got me over a hump.
>
>  There are a few things that I am not clear on with symbols and
>  footprints.  Example built into the 7400.sym we have
>
>  net=Vcc:14 and net-Gnd:7.  Yet when I click on the symbol on the
>  schematic I do not see this.  I am only curious as I wanted to change it
>  to 3.3V:14 without editing and creating a new symbol.

That's the problem with embedded nets. If your design has multiple Vcc's
or your system has multiple grounds you will end up with lot of symbols.
I use a separate power symbol for logic. There is a script at
http://www.luciani.org/geda/util/util-index.html that will create power
symbols and logic symbols without embedded nets. Give the power and logic
symbol the same refdes.

>  Second on a 9 pin sub min D I have pins 10 and 11 showing up as shorts
>  since I have connected the mounting pin/studs to ground.  Can I edit the
>  symbol on the schematic with net=Gnd:10 etc without hitting a snag?

I would create a symbol that shows a pin 10 as connected to the shell.
Change the footprint to have both shell pins numbered as 10.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org