Re: gEDA-user: PCB drill file question

Stuart Brorson wrote:
>>> This is a totally OT question, but I wonder:  Have you tried looking
>>> at the output of your FreePCB files using gerbv?
>>>
>> I only wish I could, but gerbv crashes on my machine.  Don't know if
>> this will be getting fixed any time soon.
>
> That's bad news!
>
> Ummmm, the crash won't get fixed any time soon unless you report it to
> the developers.  Can you please tell us:

actually, Rick has reported this and he gave me files to try out.

> Details about your machine (Linux? Windows? 32 or 64 bit?)

windows.

> Which Linux distro or Windows version?

not sure, but I can reproduce it with win2k.

> Which version of gerbv are you using?   (FWIW, the current version is
> 2.0.1, and I would not recommend using anything < 2.0.0.  Please
> upgrade if you're still using a 1.X version.)

I can reproduce with 2.0.1 and cvs current.

> What did you do to make it crash?  (That is, does it crash on start
> up, or do you have a certain Gerber which makes it crash?)

certain gerbers crash on startup, others when reloading.

> Any other relevant info?

I was completely unable to reproduce this under linux or netbsd.  I also
tried things like running electricfence on netbsd and was never able to
reproduce the crash there.  Under windows though it always happens.  The
output of gdb was totally useless to me although maybe someone else
would have better luck.

I think we have 2 likely reasons for the crash.

1)  There are some #ifdef WIN32 in a small number of places in the code
that has to do with rendering so we do have a slightly different code
path within gerbv.  [*]

2)  Bugs in gtk/gdk for windows.

Unfortunately I don't have any more time to put into it and I don't have
a sufficient cairo and gdk clue to be very effective anyway.

-Dan

[*] While looking for #ifdef WIN32, I found some totally inappropriate
use of WIN32 and __sparc__ in the csv parser.  We should fix that.
There is code that looks for the processor (via __sparc__) and then
makes assumptions about libc functions and other os, but not processor,
dependent things.