Re: gEDA-user: Routing "via rats"

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 10:02:46PM +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Wed, 07 May 2008 13:16:49 -0700, Ben Jackson wrote:
>
> > Here's how I (manually) route "via rats"
>
> What is a via-rat? And what is the advantage compared to ordinary manual
> routing with automatic placement of vias on change of layers?

If you place polygons (eg inner planes or surface pours) and then optimize
the ratsnest, the pins connected to the polygons will show up as donuts
(supposed to remind you of vias) rather than a bunch of via lines daisy
chaining all of the pins together.

Sorry I left out the context, it was sort of inspired by a thread that
didn't copy the list about automating their connection to planes.  I was
just explaining how I expidite connecting those pins using the existing
facilities, in case it was of use to anyone.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>