gEDA-user: Why the current is negative(of ngspice)?

 have a question about why my current flow is negative:
my circuit net list here:
diode
vs    1    0    dc    1v
d1    1    0    dnorm
.dc    vs    -0.8v    0.7v    0.004v
.model    dnorm    d(is=1e-14)
.probe
.end

and in ngspice, I execute,
plot i(vs)

the plot graph is shown that the current is negative

I find the answer from ngspice/spice3f5 user's manual:
I(VXXXXXXX)
specifies the current flowing in the independent voltage source named VXXXXXXX. Positive current flows from the positive node, through the source, to the negative node. For the ac analysis, the corresponding replacements for the letter I may be made in the same way as described for voltage outputs.

so, no doubt, the current is negative. But why the spice is so designed?

and How could I check current between any two nodes?

--
SparrowHawk
http://sprhawk.spaces.live.com/