Re: gEDA-user: PCB plug-in to update footprints in layouts

Cliff Brake wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Dean Ferreyra <dferreyra@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've written a PCB plug-in that lets you replace existing footprints
>> in your layout with updated footprints.  It's described here:
>> http://www.bourbonstreetsoftware.com/PCBFootprintUpdatePlugIn.html .
>>
>> I'm not sure how useful this will be generally since everyone's
>> workflow is different, but I thought I'd put it out there.
>>
>> BTW, this is the first time I've delved into PCB internals, so if you
>> try the plug-in, please make sure you've backed up your layout first!
>>  And please let me know if you run into any problems or have any
>> suggestions.
>
> Thanks for posting this -- looks useful.
>
> I'm in the process of testing, and it compiles fine on 32-bit Ubuntu,
> but not 64-bit Ubuntu:
>
> cc -O2 -shared -Wall -Werror  -DVERSION='"1.00"'          \
>             -Iubuntu/pcb-20080202//src \
>             -Iubuntu/pcb-20080202/     \
>             footprintupdate.o utilities.o matrix.o pad-pin-data.o
>              \
>             -o footprintupdate.so
> /usr/bin/ld: footprintupdate.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a
> local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
> with -fPIC
> footprintupdate.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [footprintupdate.so] Error 1
>
> I'm not sure what is causing the above error, but thought I would report.

Thanks for the report!

I googled around and this seems to be expected behavior at least for
AMD64 (e.g.,
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=3
).  I don't have ready access to a 64-bit machine to try this on.  The
only thing I can suggest at the moment is to manually add -fPIC to
CFLAGS in the plug-in's Makefile, then "make clean" and "make" and see
if that works.

Dean