gEDA-user: gschem won't connect nets

Folks,
   Today gschem got into a snit with one of my diagrams, and refused to
make a connection when drawing a net from a pin on a symbol to another
net. That is, the end of the net is left with the red box, and won't
make the yellow dot when it hits another net. Also, the netlist will
show a pin disconnected, as verified by PCB not showing any rats going
to the pin.
   I suspect there's something in my schematic, some homemade symbol
that's throwing it into a tizzy.  All my pins are on 100 mil grids as
far as I can tell. Anybody ever have this kind of trouble?
   I am using 1.4.0.20080127, on Gentoo.

Thanks in advance,
Paul Probert