gEDA-user: gsch2pcb cannot handle dashes in footprint names?

Folks,
   I have a schematic which has a transistor that I gave a footprint
named SOT23-6. (originally it was a Luciani footprint named
SOT23-95P-280L1-6N__LTC_S6_Package, but I renamed it and copied it to
another directory) When I run gsch2pcb on it, it runs without error
messages but outputs a .pcb file which is corrupt and pcb can't load it.
the offending line is:

)-6(SOT23-6,Q1,unknown)

It feels like it is seeing the first part of the footprint name SOT23
and then barfing on what the -6 means. Note, running gsch2pcb -f makes
no difference.

Any ideas? I can fix my immediate problem by renaming the offending
footprint and file using _ instead of -

Paul Probert