Re: gEDA-user: gsch2pcb cannot handle dashes in footprint names?

On Thu, 22 May 2008 21:26:05 -0500, Paul Probert wrote:

> It feels like it is seeing the first part of the footprint name SOT23
> and then barfing on what the -6 means.

The reason is a known non-feature of the netlister. By default, it tries
to deduce parameters for a beast called M4 library from the name. If this
fails, an incomplete pcb file is written anyway. This hit me too, when I
was new to geda/pcb. Very frustrating.

> Note, running gsch2pcb -f makes no difference.

You may try gsch2pcb --skip-m4 if none of the footprints is from the m4
library. You can put this switch along with other options in a project
file (without the leading dashes). See the tutorial for details.
By the way, it looks like there is no man page for gschem2pcb.
Do gschem2pcb -? instead.

> Any ideas? I can fix my immediate problem by renaming the offending
> footprint and file using _ instead of -

This is what I did.

IMHO this is one of the most offending warts in a gschem-gsch2pcb-pcb
workflow. If gsch2pcb can't be taught to automatically do the right
thing, it should at minimum issue a verbose and explicit error message
and exit gracefully. If even this is too much to ask for, M4
interpretation of names should be off by default.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
http://lilalaser.de/blog