Re: gEDA-user: Complex footprint creation

Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Tue, 05 May 2009 14:33:07 -0500, Mike Crowe wrote:
>
> > Do I need to freehand the object in PCB (as traces) then copy and paste?
>
> You may use a real vector graphics app to draw the shape and export to
> eps format (e.g. inkscape). The tool pstoedit can convert this to *.pcb.
>
> http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:pcb_tips#how_do_i_import_external_vector_graphics

Is it possible to mention my enhanced pad heuristic for pstoedit on this
wiki before it appears in upstream?

http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/pstoedit-pcb/

pstoedit core feature allows to convert curves and arcs to sets of short
lines.

I think it should be possible to enhance the function to create
arbitrary filled pads from sets of thin lines:

Something like this:

   _
  /_\
 |___|
 |___|
  \_/

or even zig-zag (faster on plotters that don't need to raise pen for
each line):
   _
  /Z\
 |_Z_|
 |_Z_|
  \Z/

Pstoedit discovered this technique even on some datasheet PDFs.
Footprits were apparently imported from a footprint software that does
not feature filled ellipses.

--
Stanislav Brabec
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx