gEDA-user: Adding attributes to gschem symbols

Hi,

I am new to gEDA and have a question about how to make gschem
attributes invisible in the schematic.

I think I understand the basics of how to create and edit symbols with
their associated attributes and text etc.

* This is what I want to do:

Add a set of attributes to every symbol I create in my local library
that will simplify my bill of material creation and general
understability of my schematics. To do this where possible I am taking
existing symbols or creating new ones and as well as the default set
of gschem attributes such as device, refdes, value, footprint, I want
to add an extra set of attributes of my own.

I don't want all the extra attributes to be visible when I place an
instance of the symbol on a schematic because it makes the schematic
too cluttered. However, I do want to be able to edit their values in a
schematic instance when I select it and either right click on "Edit
..." or double click on the instance to open the "Edit Attributes"
window. So, in the symbol I set the visibility to 0 (invisible) and
show_name_value to 1 (value only).

Following the rules in http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:file_format_spec
I can do that in the symbol fine, no problem.

* The problem I have is this:

When I place one of my components on the schematic it shows me the
attributes I want and hides those I have set to be invisible. However,
when I open the "Edit Attributes" window none of the attributes I have
made invisible appear in the list of attributes in the top section of
the window. They also do not appear in the drop down list for the "Add
attribute", "Name" text box.

The only way I have found to get them to show up in the top section of
the "Edit Attributes" window is if I make them visible in the symbol
before I save it to the library.

At first I thought this was a feature of the attributes being my own
extra ones but more tinkering showed me that if I chose some of the
gschem standard attributes such as "model" or "model-name", then it
all gets a bit strange.

If I make both "model" and "model-name" invisible in the symbol, then
"model" is not in the top section of the window at all but
"model-name" is shown there with the relevant 3 boxes; Vis (blank), N
(blank) and V (ticked). Both attributes of course show in the drop
down list for the "Add attribute", "Name" text box, I assume because
they are gschem default attributes.

* What I'd like from people on this list:

Is there a way to do what I want?
Is there something I am doing wrong or have misunderstood or is this a bug?

At the bottom of the post is a copy of the file of one of my symbols
(a mosfet with a parasitic diode and a circle round it). The
attributes I have added of my own are:

manufacturer
manufacturer_p/n
supplier
supplier_p/n
inhouse_p/n

I'm running gEDA 1.4.0.20080127 (straight out of the repos) on Mepis
Linux 8 64bit. Athlon dual core, 8Gbyte RAM.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

    Andy

http://signality.co.uk

====================================

v 20080127 1
P 600 1000 600 800 1 0 0
{
T 500 850 5 6 1 1 0 0 1
pinnumber=D
T 500 850 5 6 0 0 0 0 1
pinseq=1
T 500 850 5 6 0 1 0 0 1
pinlabel=D
T 500 850 5 6 0 1 0 0 1
pintype=pas
}
P 600 200 600 0 1 0 1
{
T 500 50 5 6 1 1 0 0 1
pinnumber=S
T 500 50 5 6 0 0 0 0 1
pinseq=3
T 500 50 5 6 0 1 0 0 1
pinlabel=S
T 500 50 5 6 0 1 0 0 1
pintype=pas
}
V 500 501 316 3 0 0 0 -1 -1 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
T 900 500 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
device=NMOS_TRANSISTOR
T 900 700 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
value=value or generic p/n
T 900 500 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
footprint=PCB footprint
T 900 300 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
manufacturer=manufacturer
T 900 100 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
manufacturer_p/n=manufacturer p/n
T 900 2000 5 10 0 1 0 0 1
supplier=supplier
T 900 1800 5 10 0 1 0 0 1
supplier_p/n=supplier p/n
T 900 1600 5 10 0 1 0 0 1
model=simulation model
T 900 1400 5 10 0 1 0 0 1
model-name=simulation model name
T 900 1200 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
inhouse_p/n=inhouse p/n
L 400 700 400 300 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
P 0 500 184 500 1 0 0
{
T 100 550 5 6 1 1 0 0 1
pinnumber=G
T 100 550 5 6 0 0 0 0 1
pinseq=2
T 100 550 5 6 0 1 0 0 1
pinlabel=G
T 100 550 5 6 0 1 0 0 1
pintype=pas
}
L 400 500 184 500 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
T 900 900 8 10 1 1 0 0 1
refdes=Q?
L 600 800 600 640 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 440 700 440 580 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 440 300 440 420 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 440 440 440 560 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 440 640 600 640 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 440 360 600 360 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 600 200 600 360 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 600 360 600 500 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 440 500 480 520 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 480 520 480 480 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 480 480 440 500 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 480 500 600 500 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 600 700 680 700 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 660 530 720 530 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 680 700 690 700 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 690 580 690 700 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 640 510 660 530 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 720 530 740 550 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 660 470 690 530 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 720 470 690 530 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 660 470 720 470 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 690 530 690 580 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 600 300 690 300 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 690 300 690 470 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
V 600 700 5 3 0 0 0 -1 -1 1 -1 -1 1 -1 1
V 600 360 5 3 0 0 0 -1 -1 1 -1 -1 1 -1 1
V 600 300 5 3 0 0 0 -1 -1 1 -1 -1 1 -1 1