Re: gEDA-user: Cypress PSoC MiniProg under Linux

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 15:41 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > I have not already used their WebPack for Linux, but I am sure it
> > works.
>
> I use WebPack for Linux, it works just fine.  Although, I don't use
> any of their programming cables.

Don't touch their drivers with a barge pole.. use these:

http://rmdir.de/~michael/xilinx/

I've successfully used a "Prog2" clone cable (parallel port - slow),
Platform cable USB, and Platform cable USB II. (The latter two USB
programmers are much much faster, but rather expensive!)

Since ISE version 10.1, their software supports a libusb based driver
natively. For 10.1, you need to set the environment variable:

XIL_IMPACT_USE_LIBUSB=1

For 11.1, the libusb based driver is the default.

In either case, if you want to use the parallel port programming cables
without the evil kernel drivers, use the LD_PRELOAD library at the above
link.

Oh.. my first impressions of 11.1 is that is a pile of cra*. Segfaults
all the time, and with the newer Qt / theme their using, the GUI seems
more cluttered, less compact. Schematic format is now XML based. I can't
think it is related, but the tools are _very_ slow doing even simple
tasks like opening and saving schematics.

I only upgraded to 11.1 because of a nasty programming bug (segfault) in
10.1 programming an SPI flash via IMPACT. 11.1 introduces new bugs in
other aspects of the process though!

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,