Re: gEDA-user: Parts!

Steven Michalske wrote:
> I use boxes of duplicate parts and a faulty memory!

Yea, that one has worked well for me for years too.  :)

I've been interested to try something I saw a lawyer use once to track
an incomprehensibly-large pile of documents: divide them up into small,
arbitrary groups, and put them into numbered folders.  Then keep a
notepad (or in his case, a database) that mapped the document title,
author, etc. to the folder number.

The lawyer knew that he didn't need to classify his documents, he just
needed to be able to find them individually.  Applied to our work,
sometimes it doesn't make sense to have a drawer for resistors, another
for connectors, etc.  Just get some of those small-parts boxes from
Lowes or whatever, and as new parts come in then you put the little bags
into the most-empty bin and then jot down which bin it was.

There was a time when I kept all my Mouser orders in their original
shipping boxes, along with a hardcopy of the order.  Then I could just
flip through the order sheets until I found which box the part I wanted
was in.  It really seemed helpful, although manually searching 10+ page
lists was an ideal opportunity for improvement.

Just a thought.  Not that I have time to do better, of course.  :)

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx