Re: gEDA-user: Parts!

What a headache!  I dig through boxes until I find it!

As far as computerized inventory tracking, I have almost zilch. I have a
few old BOMs lying around.  I keep datasheets for parts I own in
different directories from other parts.  I try to keep the files named
so that I can find them when I need them, but often it is just as easy
to re-download it, than look through my directories of datasheets.  I am
terribly disorganized about this. Nobody knows what I have, including me.

* I keep unfinished projects in clear plastic "shoeboxes"  that you get
for about a buck at discount stores.
* Except for projects that are too big, so I have some cardboard boxes too
* And large plastic tubs
* Sometimes I clean up my bench and used a clear plastic "shoebox" for
that, or a cardboard box, or a large tub.
* I have a couple of three ring binders, with clear plastic pocket pages
for parts that can be filed in order
* I also have tons of those clear plastic do-dads whose base is the next
one's lid.
* And some tiny little flip-top dingers that I found in China
* And many cut-tapes rubber-banded together
* A few reels here and there (.01µF anyone?)
* And some auto parts store style bolt bins
* A bookshelf full of random sample kits
* Drawers with IC's stuck in foam
* Let's not forget those clear acrylic-drawer organizers
* And a bunch of other plastic (abs?) multi drawer organizers
* Fishing tackle boxes
* I try to keep dev-kits in their original box

I sure wish that at some stage in the design workflow (the step between
gschem and PCB perhaps), I could somehow cleverly integrate part
(footprint) selection (from my inventory).   Then maybe I would take an
inventory.

Sigh.