Re: gEDA-user: Parts!

Bill Gatliff wrote:
[...]
> Gosh, I think it almost does.  You have a footprint column in your
> device table, and it seems as though only one footprint would apply to a
> specific device--- an 0603 resistor is always going to use the 0603
> footprint.  So if you had resistors with other footprints, they'd be
> different entries in the table, right?

Right. Wrong! What about a TO220 transistor? You have standing and
laying version, I do have an SMD version too. You may have a footprint
for other technologies of soldering... such as reflow, wave, etc. You
may have different resist opening version... etc. I think it might be a
good idea to have a separate footprint table for footprint variants.

> I don't think you are using your schema very effectively, however.  I
> think your description field should at most contain the word "resistor",
> since you are capturing things like footprint and value in other fields.

That is why I have the category and subcategory tables.

> And I think you need a separate column for footprint symbol file name,
> then drop the ".fp" from your footprint field and adopt a standard
> naming convention for footprints. Then you could do a query for
> "description=resistor and value=10R and footprint=SO14".

Well well. This system is still a "quick and dirty hack"... :-) What you
can do is a query for category=1, subcategory=1, value=10R. That is what
I do day by day. However, you are probably right. This is my first SQL
database, and one may see that I don't have experience with it. :-)

> Yours is a sledgehammer system, but I like it.  I'm a tad jealous, in
> fact.  :)

The next step with this system is to write some (G)UI for those tables.
I usually use the phpmyadmin interface. It is OK, but could be better.
Or even better... integrate it in gschem.

Any volunteers? :-)

Cheers,
Levente