Re: gEDA-user: [OFF] high current amplifier

   On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Levente Kovacs
   <[1]leventelist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

   On Wed, 20 May 2009 10:33:30 -0500
   Mark Rages <[2]markrages@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
   > 100 amps and 500 watts implies a load impedance of 0.05 ohms.  Some
   > professional audio amplifiers may handle this, but I think most will
   > go into self-protect mode.
   >
   > Best bet might be a car amp:
   > [3]http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11796_Kenwood+KAC-8104D.html

     Looks nice.

   > If Levente is just looking for a sine wave, he should check out
   > variable frequency drive motor controllers.   Search ebay for "VFD".

     No, we want to test a current sensor with mains' frequency. However
     there are
     transient once in a while on the line, so we must simulate them
     too.

   OK, so this amp:
   [4]http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11682_MA+Audio+HK10KA.html
   is rated to deliver 10kw into 1 ohm, if you feed it 17.5 V.  That's
   100A.  The protection circuitry may still be a problem with your load,
   however.
   Also, I am not endorsing that vendor, it's just a random website I ran
   across.
   What kind of transient are you trying to simulate?  Maybe it would be
   easier to make a circuit to add the transient to mains power, instead
   of recreating mains power with an amplifier.
   Regards,
   Mark
   markrages@gmail
   --