Re: gEDA-user: [OFF] high current amplifier

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 May 2009, Joerg wrote:
>> DJ Delorie wrote:
>>> It's 23000 :-)
>>>
>>> My air conditioner draws 123 amps at 240 volts for the first few
>>> seconds.  That's almost 30kW.
>> Seconds and not fractions or a second? Yikes! Unless it's a 10-15 ton
>> unit that doesn't sound normal. Did you find some of the power hogs with
>> your new board by now?
>
> Off topic reply, but could be germain too.
>
> Not even a 40 horse compressor in a 22 ton (rated, yeah sure) Lennox will draw
> that much for that long.  Its startup was a peak in the 250 amps/phase area,
> and the reason I say area is that a std 400 amp scale on an amp-probe on any
> phase line swung up to 250 and back down to its running of about 39 amps/phase
> in a purely ballistic fashion as the startup surge was only 6 or 7 cycles of
> the 208/3 phase line.
>
> Now it really gets off-topic.
>
> That was one of those _must_ _work_ units else a tv station was off the air 10
> (or less) minutes after it failed.  It was also probably responsible for some
> of the early ozone holes over the antarctic as it was severely under fanned on
> the condensor side, and I had to add 20 pounds of freon in the fall to keep it
> working right until it wasn't needed, and bleed that 20 pounds back off as
> spring turned into summer.  This went on for 8 years on my watch, back in the
> 70's, and long before they started regulating all that stuff.
>
> 2 ea. 1100rpm 1/2 horse motors turning 24" fans just didn't cut it.  I got
> tired of that one spring and fixed _some_ of it by taking a failed motor to
> town, having the brackets stretched to carry 2 horse 1800 rpm motors,
> replacing the motor with a 2 horse 1800 and repeating it the next week with
> the second one.  2 horse wasn't quite enough as they ran a couple of amps over
> nameplate when the condensor was relatively clean.  When those blades failed
> (fatigue cracks, caught before they made shrapnel), I replaced them with
> blades with an inch less pitch.  That allowed it to continue to work until the
> ambient went over 80 degrees without bleeding freon to keep the high side
> under 400 psi and the compressor currents under 43 amps/phase else the
> overcurrents in the compressor would trip.  Based on those results, I would
> have said that a single 20hp motor, running at full load pulling a quad
> torrington wheel with each half about 16" wide & 14" diameter, would have been
> about right.  That could have been throttled with a 4' square louver driven by
> a M-H proportional control Modutrol to regulate the high side pressures/temps
> and made it work all year.  Some of the crappy designs foisted off on the
> industry by supposedly reputable, old line makers are amazingly loaded with
> excrement.  I even called Lennox and they swore on a stack of bibles that
> those 2, 1/2 horse motors were enough.  I asked what was the expected
> [...]

Thanks for sharing, that was a real story from the trenches.

Not looking forward to the 105F days that are coming. I don't need A/C
even when it gets to 95F in the office but when visitors come I have to.
And then the compressor often goes into bypass mode making that awful
rarrrrr noise. Then it's waiting 5-10 mins, crossing fingers, make sure
no black cat crosses street from right to left, turn switch to the old
Lennox back on, hold breath.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/