Re: gEDA-user: [OFF] high current amplifier

On Wednesday 20 May 2009, Joerg wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> Seconds and not fractions or a second? Yikes! Unless it's a 10-15 ton
>>> unit that doesn't sound normal. Did you find some of the power hogs with
>>> your new board by now?
>>
>> Off topic reply, but could be germain too.
>>
>> Not even a 40 horse compressor in a 22 ton (rated, yeah sure) Lennox will
>> draw that much for that long.  Its startup was a peak in the 250
>> amps/phase area, and the reason I say area is that a std 400 amp scale on
>> an amp-probe on any phase line swung up to 250 and back down to its
>> running of about 39 amps/phase in a purely ballistic fashion as the
>> startup surge was only 6 or 7 cycles of the 208/3 phase line.
>>
>> Now it really gets off-topic.
>>
>> That was one of those _must_ _work_ units else a tv station was off the
>> air 10 (or less) minutes after it failed.  It was also probably
>> responsible for some of the early ozone holes over the antarctic as it was
>> severely under fanned on the condensor side, and I had to add 20 pounds of
>> freon in the fall to keep it working right until it wasn't needed, and
>> bleed that 20 pounds back off as spring turned into summer.  This went on
>> for 8 years on my watch, back in the 70's, and long before they started
>> regulating all that stuff.
>>
>> 2 ea. 1100rpm 1/2 horse motors turning 24" fans just didn't cut it.  I got
>> tired of that one spring and fixed _some_ of it by taking a failed motor
>> to town, having the brackets stretched to carry 2 horse 1800 rpm motors,
>> replacing the motor with a 2 horse 1800 and repeating it the next week
>> with the second one.  2 horse wasn't quite enough as they ran a couple of
>> amps over nameplate when the condensor was relatively clean.  When those
>> blades failed (fatigue cracks, caught before they made shrapnel), I
>> replaced them with blades with an inch less pitch.  That allowed it to
>> continue to work until the ambient went over 80 degrees without bleeding
>> freon to keep the high side under 400 psi and the compressor currents
>> under 43 amps/phase else the overcurrents in the compressor would trip.
>> Based on those results, I would have said that a single 20hp motor,
>> running at full load pulling a quad torrington wheel with each half about
>> 16" wide & 14" diameter, would have been about right.  That could have
>> been throttled with a 4' square louver driven by a M-H proportional
>> control Modutrol to regulate the high side pressures/temps and made it
>> work all year.  Some of the crappy designs foisted off on the industry by
>> supposedly reputable, old line makers are amazingly loaded with excrement.
>>  I even called Lennox and they swore on a stack of bibles that those 2,
>> 1/2 horse motors were enough.  I asked what was the expected operating
>> temperature range and he said 75-90F outside.  I said "and what happens
>> when you have enough heat load to need it, but the outside temp is 33F?"
>> "Its not designed to run at those temps."  Why did you sell it to the
> [...]

Then it needs help like I've described.  That sort of a locked rotor shutdown
is pure hell on the compressors.  No other nice way to describe it unforch.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"Oh no, not again."

- A bowl of petunias on it's way to certain death.