Re: gEDA-user: [OFF] high current amplifier

On Thursday 21 May 2009, Joerg wrote:
>der Mouse wrote:
>>> Or it produces nailbiters like this one:
>>>
>>> http://www.wadenelson.com/gimli.html
>>
>> It's a very interesting story, to be sure, but I'm having trouble
>> seeing the error.  It says
>>
>> 	[...] each time using 1.77 pounds/liter as the specific gravity
>> 	factor.  [...]  The factor the refuelers and the crew should
>> 	have used on the brand new, all-metric 767 was .8 kg/liter of
>> 	kerosene.
>>
>> But 1.77 pounds/liter is the same as .8 kg/liter, to within something
>> like a third of a percent.  Perhaps it's just bad reporting and/or
>> writing, but I'm having trouble seeing the error.
>
>They calculated alright but then entered the pound number into the fuel
>clocking system of the aircraft. Since Canada had (officially) converted
>to metric the new aircraft was delivered with metric firmware so the 767
>assumed this to be kilograms. But a pound ain't a kilogram, so ...
>
>I guess the fuel clock showed plenty of fuel when things went phut ...
>shhhhhh. AFAIU the make-shift system in the 767 calculates the fuel flow
>from engine sensors and keeps subtracting that from the entered total.
>Assuming this entered total was kilograms.
>
>Probably they should have never taken off with a non-functional FQI
>system. An added circumstance was most likely that nearly all the other
>(older) aircraft were non-metric.

I agree, the FAA $hould have cited the airline for $uch poor practice$.

>I've been on one flight on a 767 when an engine went phut about an hour
>before reaching the Belgian coast, something had gone kaputt in there.
>That left only on engine to fly on. Even some of the stewardesses turned
>pale, the whole Frankfurt airspace was cleared for us (that alone is no
>small feat) and all the ambulances and firetrucks they could muster
>could be seen on the ground. Just as a precaution they said. But the
>pilot greased her on very professionally, right on the numbers. Had to,
>because he could not use the thrust reverser to slow down.

I've been in on one that was sorta the opposite.  A Convair 580 being flown by
Frontier, in the 70's.  Afternoon flight from Scottsdale AZ to Gallup NM,
Farmington NM, and Durango CO where it would be parked for the night.  Wind
came up, as the pilot said about 4 garbage can lids worth as he was looking at
the Gallup strip.  We had a passenger for Gallup, and I saw an expert pilot
put it down in a 60 mph crosswind carrying quite a bit of sand, and they
almost threw that squaw out the door so he could get back up out of it.
Probably less than a minute from door open & ramp down to ramp up & door
latched again.  On arrival at Farmington, the wind was up to the middle 70's,
again across the runway and the sand looked like snow on a mountaintop, except
it was 30 to 50 feet up.  He announced he was gonna figure 8 and burn fuel
before he tried to land, which he did till it was well dusk & fading fast.
Then he brought it down into the sand and both engines looked like 4th of july
sparklers gone ballistic.  He had the trips on the flaps cocked, and both
wings turned straight up the instant it kissed, and about 8 secs of full
reverse props and all buckets out between that and shutdown.  We lit up the
sky all around us.  He let it roll dead off the runway into the grass and a
bus came out to get us, it wasn't going anyplace without a pull till those 2
engines had new spools in them & probably new props, they were scrubbed as
clean as could be.  New windshields too as the view wasn't very good when I
stopped to praise the pilot & he said they had had several classes based on
that scenario at the Frontier school.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."
- Corporal Hicks, in "Aliens"