Re: gEDA-user: [OFF] high current amplifier

On Thursday 21 May 2009, Joerg wrote:
[...]
>Wow, I've never been in a close call like that one. Only once in a small
>Dornier aircraft when the (otherwise totally quiet) bush pilot kind of
>guy let off a lot of cuss words, the stall horn was blaring, pine tree
>tops came at us and it was of course not high enough to do a parachute
>bail. A burly mtorcycle guy next to me who usually isn't afraid of
>anything mumbled "Well, I guess this is it". We made it but could see
>the snow flying off the trees as we inched up in altitude. Maybe the
>newly "found" ground effect or something saved us. For a while there the
>tree tops looked like the road does from the low seats of a Porsche.

Humm, similar I suppose to a go-kart I once had.  Quite a rush when the
blacktop is going by your hip joints at 120+mph, an only an inch below them.
That of course was back in the 60's when go-kart engines were 2 strokers and
some could make 4 to 5 horse per cubic inch.  Mine was an old outboard, 14ci,
but a deflector head design so even on booze it was only maybe 2hp/ci, and
about 1 on straight gas.  But that was enough to get the job done for me. :)

I highly recommend that everyone who really wants to learn to drive, do it on
an old go-kart, the new 4 strokers aren't fast enough by any means.  On a go-
kart you can play with the envelope and find out what the machine can do,
generally without collecting any broken momentos.  Lose it in the corner and
spin it out?  Go do it again, till you can hit that corner 30mph faster than
when you spun out, steer it with the throttle while sliding at a 10 degree
angle to the direction you are going, using every inch of the track just like
the indy cars do.  Spend a summer or 3 doing that and I guarantee you will
never, ever drive a cage in such a manner that you can't handle whatever the
road or weather throws at you.  Even at my age, 74, I still have one corner I
use as a gauge to see how I'm doing.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"Being disintegrated makes me ve-ry an-gry!" <huff, huff>