Re: gEDA-user: [OFF] high current amplifier

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 21 May 2009, Joerg wrote:
> [...]
>> Wow, I've never been in a close call like that one. Only once in a small
>> Dornier aircraft when the (otherwise totally quiet) bush pilot kind of
>> guy let off a lot of cuss words, the stall horn was blaring, pine tree
>> tops came at us and it was of course not high enough to do a parachute
>> bail. A burly mtorcycle guy next to me who usually isn't afraid of
>> anything mumbled "Well, I guess this is it". We made it but could see
>> the snow flying off the trees as we inched up in altitude. Maybe the
>> newly "found" ground effect or something saved us. For a while there the
>> tree tops looked like the road does from the low seats of a Porsche.
>
> Humm, similar I suppose to a go-kart I once had.  Quite a rush when the
> blacktop is going by your hip joints at 120+mph, an only an inch below them.
> That of course was back in the 60's when go-kart engines were 2 strokers and
> some could make 4 to 5 horse per cubic inch.  Mine was an old outboard, 14ci,
> but a deflector head design so even on booze it was only maybe 2hp/ci, and
> about 1 on straight gas.  But that was enough to get the job done for me. :)
>
> I highly recommend that everyone who really wants to learn to drive, do it on
> an old go-kart, the new 4 strokers aren't fast enough by any means.  On a go-
> kart you can play with the envelope and find out what the machine can do,
> generally without collecting any broken momentos.  Lose it in the corner and
> spin it out?  Go do it again, till you can hit that corner 30mph faster than
> when you spun out, steer it with the throttle while sliding at a 10 degree
> angle to the direction you are going, using every inch of the track just like
> the indy cars do.  Spend a summer or 3 doing that and I guarantee you will
> never, ever drive a cage in such a manner that you can't handle whatever the
> road or weather throws at you.  Even at my age, 74, I still have one corner I
> use as a gauge to see how I'm doing.

I'll second that. Did it in Spain but the track owner from whom I also
rented the go-kart didn't want me on there anymore after my power-slides
blew out the 2nd tire (including some smoke plumes). They must be rather
expensive.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/