Re: gEDA-user: [OFF] high current amplifier

John Doty wrote:
> On May 22, 2009, at 10:47 AM, Joerg wrote:
>
>> As for tubes I found that HV-driver tubes for color TVs were the best
>> deal. But this was decades ago, today you'd have to take a look at
>> which
>> current production tubes are available and at what cost. Sovtek,
>> Svetlana and so on.
>
> Still lots of old TV tubes around: repair shops kept large stocks
> around, and dealers grabbed them for pennies on the dollar as the
> shops closed up when the tube era ended. If you want to build tube
> stuff from scratch http://tubesandmore.com/ has lots of stuff: old
> tubes, current tubes, sockets, transformers, ...

Thanks. There are many tube places and prices (or the mark-ups) seem to
vary widely. One shop has a certain tube for cheap, but another is a lot
better in price for a different tube.

These guys even have Chinese 6146 for 20 bucks:

http://www.tubedepot.com/index.html

But I haven't shopped there yet and also I prefer the mil version with
graphite plates, with some luck those can be had for around $30.

Then there is stuff you'd be hard-pressed to do with semiconductors,
like HV-switching. The GP-5 triode can avoid the white-knuckle ride of a
FET-stack and I've seen it for $5 at a few places:

http://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=58

> In Japan, Tokyu Hands (a division of the Tokyu department store
> chain) sells tube amplifier kits.

The dream of any electronics engineer, one whole day for an extended
stroll through Akihabara, and no budget limits :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/