Re: gEDA-user: [OFF] high current amplifier

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Joerg <joergsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chris Albertson wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I'm thinking about tube amps that had an output impedance of about 1M
>> ohm that used transformers to drive 8 ohm speakers.  About a 100,000
>> to 1 ratio.
>>

> 1M? What kind of tube was that? I think the highest I had was about 5K.
> At 5000 volts on the plates ...

OK off by "just one decimal point".  My point still is that tube amps
have to deal with a huge impedance mis-match and they handle it with a
transformer.    Then you ask "what transformers can handle a load that
is well under 1 ohm.  So I thought about arc welders.

While on the subject, I'm wanting to build a tube amp.  But my goal is
not to re-create an old design.  Mostly for entertainment and
education I want to design and build the transformers too.  Anyone
have any leads or links to places to buy the parts?  I know you can
buy frames and the metal plates used to stack a transformer core but
where?.  I'd start by building something small and easy, like a low
power 12V power supply but the goal is to learn the art of high power
transformer building

--
=====
Chris Albertson