Re: gEDA-user: Outsourcing PCB layout

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 03:35:07PM +0000, Michael Sokolov wrote:
> Gabriel Paubert <paubert@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Indeed, while some distributors apparently still have a non-negligible
> > stock of Conexant's RS8973 (www.americaii.com claims 1943),
>
> Thanks for the pointer, I'll check it out!

I'm not affiliated in any way to AmericaII but I was looking a few weeks
ago for the high speed grade (-5) of a Xilinx Spartan3A (some part of
the design has to run at 400MHz, only 20 flip-flops or so, but that's
a case where the speed grade makes a difference); I ended up buying
the parts from them since other distributors only carried -4 or gave
me 12-13 weeks of delay.

> > the transceiver is obsolete.

Sorry, I did not express myself well, I meant the TI part (SN75LBC784),
that one does not appear in stock in any of my providers.

> Yes, Mindspeed doesn't want to make, sell or support it any more because
> they have M289xx as the "new replacement".  Care to know why they
> obsoleted RS8973 in favor of M289xx?  RS8973 was open source-friendly,
> whereas M289xx is completely closed.  See this page for the full gory
> details:
>
> http://ifctfvax.Harhan.ORG/OpenSDSL/chips/mindspeed.html

Interesting...

	Gabriel