Re: gEDA-user: fritzing

2009/5/8 Eric Brombaugh <ebrombaugh1@xxxxxxx>:
> John Griessen wrote:
>> How about the code intensive hardware system developers that start
>> a project with FPGA then migrate it to ASIC?  What language do they use -- c++?
>
> Typically they'll use a HDL like Verilog or VHDL. Those are generally
> compatible across FPGAs and ASICs alike. There have been attempts to use
> C++ for hardware design, but they haven't found their way into the
> mainstream.

Indeed, C/C++ tends to be very domain-specific (usually DSP). I'm sure
that will slowly change.

and there are plenty of FPGA designs out there that have been
completely realised in Matlab.

> There are newer HDLs starting to find more use though - System Verilog
> is becoming popular among some of my colleagues.

<opinion>The penetration of SystemVerilog for Design is fairly limited
in my experience - but for verification, it's on a very steep upward
curve right now. I still see Verilog as being dominant for the next 5
years.</opinion>

As for the original topic/question, I'm astounded that Tcl hasn't had
more of a mention. In my day job, most EDA tools I use day-to-day are
built around/have embedded a Tcl interpreter. Scheme is not on the
radar.

Cheers
Gareth