gEDA-user: gEDA scripting (was: fritzing)

al davis wrote:
 > For software to be truly expert friendly, it must use languages
 > that are meaningful in the application domain, and lots of
 > extendability.  To a circuit designer, that is not C, Scheme,
 > M4, or XML.

[jg]What is it?

Gareth Edwards wrote:

> As for the original topic/question, I'm astounded that Tcl hasn't had
> more of a mention. In my day job, most EDA tools I use day-to-day are
> built around/have embedded a Tcl interpreter. Scheme is not on the
> radar.

[jg]Of course.  That's part of chip design since 1991 or before even.
Thanks, that was what wanted -- all the candidates.  Tcl too.

Eric Brombaugh wrote:
referring to
 > HW/SW co-development for situations like SoCs which have embedded
 > processors, then yes - the folks on the SW side will usually be
 > developing in Assy/C/C++ and using simulators/emulators to test code
 > prior to getting silicon.

[jg]OK.  Nothing there that's helpful for gEDA tool scripting.

[jg]Tcl is it then, along with perl and python.
Those are the languages we would get the most out of as gschem or pcb scripting
interfaces.

Any more?

John
--