Re: gEDA-user: Database on symbols, footprints and other (was "Re: gattrib")

On May 6, 2010, at 2:18 PM, John Doty wrote:
I didn't know of another way to implement this function. GParts is looking for where gEDA is installed in order to read gEDA's configuration files. I'm not aware of another mechanism to locate where gEDA is installed. Suggestions
are welcome.

http://www.seul.org/pipermail/geda-user/2009-December/022135.html

If you need more, ask. I think it's all accessible to Guile scripts.

I think even a lot of the database stuff is possible in Guile. I've used a Guile interface layer to MySQL and PostgreSQL, it works very well. It's called Guile-DBI:

 http://home.gna.org/guile-dbi/

Hmm. Could a parts database utility be constructed to be logically inserted ahead of the gnetlist back end (using -l or -m options)? Plug-in...

  Hmmmmmmm...sounds possible.

I was thinking about writing a parts database interface in Guile directly in gschem awhile back, but never found the time to make it happen. We've talked about it at great length here. I can see having public read-only databases that we can share ("yes I have that part, attach to my geda database at mysql://foo.bar.com/parts-is- parts") along with some (free) parts database hosting for those of us here who don't have or don't want to install a database server. I have a big (dozens of GB) production database server here that I could carve out space on for that.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL