Re: gEDA-user: Database on symbols, footprints and other (was "Re: gattrib")

On May 6, 2010, at 12:23 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

>  I was thinking about writing a parts database interface in Guile directly in gschem

I see that as the wrong place, at least from a schematic reuse perspective. To me, package selection, part# (manufacturer and distributor), even occasionally part value selection should happen when the BOM is exported. Now what this means depends on the flow: some netlist formats don't just represent topology but include BOM info (especially footprint). And anyway, we also make the tabular BOM with gnetlist in the usual flow. So gnetlist is one good place to merge your database info into the flow. Another is some post-gschem schematic "annotation" tool.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx