Re: gEDA-user: Database on symbols, footprints and other (was "Re: gattrib")

On May 6, 2010, at 12:41 PM, Armin Faltl wrote:

>>> I think even a lot of the database stuff is possible in Guile.  I've used a Guile interface layer to MySQL and PostgreSQL, it works very well.  It's called Guile-DBI:
>>>
>>> http://home.gna.org/guile-dbi/
>>>

>> Hmm. Could a parts database utility be constructed to be logically inserted ahead of the gnetlist back end (using -l or -m options)? Plug-in...
>>
> Understandig the details of slots etc. or not, this is the way I want to work:

Missing steps:

Forget how you want to work. Focus on what you want to accomplish.

Understand what the toolkit can do for you.

Choose a path to your goal that utilizes the toolkit's strengths.

> * make a schematic
> * select parts by spec and attach them to the symbols
> * run the conversion to netlists, proto-board, model
> (* run model and re-select parts, re-run conversion)

Right now, it is difficult to make schematics that both support simulation and are suitable for board layout. I have some ideas for fixing this, but it won't happen soon.

> * layout the board
>
> Is this what you mean with "ahead of the gnetlist back end" ?

Right now, one easy way is to create a separate project symbol file for each spec as you draw. Then edit those files to add detail (footprints, etc.). An alternative would be to have a way to add/modify such attributes between drawing and netlisting, either by "annotating" schematics (for small projects, gattrib works), or by some preprocessing of the internal data structures in gnetlist, ahead of netlist and BOM export (we have no such thing). For some things, e.g. putting in vendor part numbers, I have a flow where I postprocess the BOM. There are lots of paths here, and "one size does *not* fit all".

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx