Re: gEDA-user: Database on symbols, footprints and other (was "Re: gattrib")

   For less-common parts, I would think the schematic symbols would be
   generated _from_ data in the parts database.  Let's say you're
   interested in using a particular 80-pin IC with a pinout that doesn't
   resemble any other part that is in the database or the symbol
   library.   Here's an example of a possible work flow... not everyone
   will want something this complicated, but various people will various
   parts of this flow:
   -enter all known data about the part into the database (pinout, package
   options, full part number, operating temperature range, possible
   suppliers and supplier part numbers, etc.)
   -generate a .sym file from the database to match the part's pinout --
   could be done automatically with options to cover different work flows
   and user preferences.
   * make a schematic
   * select generic parts from the database by spec and attach them to the
   symbols
   - Generate a BOM. query database for purchasing info.
   - Run checks.  query the database for more info about parts in BOM.  Do
   they all meet operating temperature requirement?
   * run the conversion to netlists, proto-board, model
   (* run model and re-select parts, re-run conversion)
   * layout the board
   The point is, I think the parts database will be accessed at several
   points in the process, not just post-gschem and
   pre-layout/simulation/BOM generation.  Also, there's no reason for a
   parts database to be tied to gEDA specifically (as it would be if it
   was integrated in gschem); it is a very generic function and could be
   useful to all EDA users.
   Note that in this flow, the schematic symbols stay fairly 'light' but
   additional info is available from the database for tasks that otherwise
   would require 'heavy' symbols.