Re: gEDA-user: Database on symbols, footprints and other (was "Re: gattrib")

   Right, but for resistors for example, there are existing resistor
   symbols that will suffice for most people (once they've added their
   particular attributes).   For ICs with uncommon pinouts, the symbol has
   to be created from scratch.   If the database is the canonical source
   of part information to be fed into the design process, then the symbol
   should be generated from the info in the database.  There shouldn't be
   anything controversial about pinout data -- it could easily be shared
   with others.
   The divergence in work flows starts in the conversion of pinout data to
   symbols; some people want hidden power pins, or parts split into
   several symbols, or different types of attributes, etc.  This is where
   scripts can generate symbols to individual users' needs, or at least
   check that existing symbols match the known data for that part.
   Obviously every part has a huge number of parameters to totally specify
   it, and there may not be a lot of overlap between different users' part
   databases, but I think a database could be useful even for isolated
   users not sharing their data.  If you do find someone else's part entry
   useful, you'll certainly have to add additional information to meet the
   requirements of your own process.  Keeping the database concentrated on
   "just the facts" about the part should expand the usability to a very
   wide range of users (more than just gEDA users), which hopefully would
   improve the chances of finding existing entries that are useful.
   If we maintain a 1:1 correspondence of part number to actual physical
   part -- so there is only one type of package for each database entry
   for example -- and enter only the type of information that comes from
   spec sheets or suppliers (rather than, say, assigning a footprint or
   graphic symbol)  then I think any given database entry should be
   generally usable for anyone interested in that part.
   For things like footprints or graphic symbols, those properties should
   be entered into the database only if they specify the tool that they're
   intended to work with, and if they allow for several different
   suggestions for that property.
   So for example you could have properties:
   gschem-suggested-symbol-1
   gschem-suggested-symbol-2
   pcb-suggested-footprint-1
   gnucap-suggested-model-1
   suggested-vendor-1
   The task of actually selecting a footprint, symbol or model would be up
   to the individual later in their process;  the suggestions would just
   be available to be queried if they're asked for.
   Also -- I think there would need to be some way of flagging errors or
   problems that you may find in other peoples' entries.  To me, this is
   one big advantage of a database over files -- if someone finds an
   error, they could attach a note to that entry warning other potential
   users about the problem.
   *shrug* anyway, I'm not developing any of this, so these are just my
   thoughts on how it could work.  :)
   mw.