   From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Sent: Mon, May 3, 2010 1:36:25 PM
   Subject: Re: gEDA-user: font problem in 1.6.0
   On May 3, 2010, at 2:22 PM, Peter TB Brett wrote:
   >>> It "might" due to some Pango / cairo build configuration. There are
   >>> number of different ways to build pango / cairo. Some will be using
   >>> native OS X APIs for fonts, others might use freetype and
   fontconfig.
   >>> I'm not sure what the easy recipe to a working config is.
   >>
   >>  Ok...From some brief reading, it sounds to me like Pango should be
   built with ATSUI support for font handling (I'm on a 10.4 system,
   CoreText isn't available) and Cairo for rendering.  Pango requires
   glib.

   >>  So it sounds like I should build glib, then Cairo, then Pango, then
   GTK+.  Does that sound sane?

   > What we really need is for someone with access to OSX to work out
   what the actual bug is. :-(
     I would love to do that, but I don't think I'm up to the task
   time-wise right now.
     In the meantime, it took a little over two minutes to build it on a
   Linux machine, and it works nicely when displayed back to either the G5
   or the Sun Ray (backed with Solaris/UltraSPARC) on my desk.  I'll use
   that to get some work done and will keep trying to get it running under
   OS X during breaks.
     In the meantime I've narrowed down the Pango problem to a major
   release.  Under OS X 10.4, v1.24 works while v1.25 fails due to the
   CoreText requirement.
     Pango is configured to use Cairo, FreeType, and X backends, according
   to its configure output.
     Do you have any suggestions as to where I might start digging?
                 -Dave

   --Dave McGuire
   Port Charlotte, FL