Re: gEDA-user: font problem in 1.6.0

On May 3, 2010, at 2:22 PM, Peter TB Brett wrote:
It "might" due to some Pango / cairo build configuration. There are a
number of different ways to build pango / cairo. Some will be using
native OS X APIs for fonts, others might use freetype and fontconfig.
I'm not sure what the easy recipe to a working config is.

Ok...From some brief reading, it sounds to me like Pango should be built with ATSUI support for font handling (I'm on a 10.4 system, CoreText isn't available) and Cairo for rendering. Pango requires glib.

So it sounds like I should build glib, then Cairo, then Pango, then GTK+. Does that sound sane?

What we really need is for someone with access to OSX to work out what the actual bug is. :-(

I would love to do that, but I don't think I'm up to the task time- wise right now.

In the meantime, it took a little over two minutes to build it on a Linux machine, and it works nicely when displayed back to either the G5 or the Sun Ray (backed with Solaris/UltraSPARC) on my desk. I'll use that to get some work done and will keep trying to get it running under OS X during breaks.

In the meantime I've narrowed down the Pango problem to a major release. Under OS X 10.4, v1.24 works while v1.25 fails due to the CoreText requirement.

Pango is configured to use Cairo, FreeType, and X backends, according to its configure output.

  Do you have any suggestions as to where I might start digging?

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL