Re: gEDA-user: How do I mark the connection point on a pad?

kai-martin knaak wrote:
Jim wrote:

While we're talking about vias, why is the default via size smaller than
the DRC checks for?

Everytime I generate a board and forget to reset the via size the vias
fail the DRC check.

How do you generate your boards in the first place? With gsch2pcb, or by starting pcb with no file? These two ways use different sets of defaults. Unfortunately, the defaults used by gsch2pcb are hard coded somewhere in the source. By contrast, pcb reads the defaults from its config files in ~/.pcb/settings, or ~/.pcb/preferences

If you want to improve your work-flow and have pcb set-up to your needs, you may first prepare an empty layout with a call of pcb. Then use gsch2pcb to populate the empty layout with components via the update mechanism.

---<)kaimartin(>---

Since a beginner at this most likely is following the tutorial and the tutorial uses gsch2pcb, I'd like to think of that method as being the natural way. I understand you can use these tools in a bunch of different ways, but a beginner won't know (most likely) any way except what is taught in the tutorial. That beginner would also not understand that it's important to set the via size as Stefan says. Of course, I'm a beginner and have no idea why a default via size is a bad thing. After all there is a default board size and I'm fairly certain almost no one leaves this setting alone. Anyway, it didn't make a lot of sense to have a checker complain about a default setting. But then I fall into the beginner category.

Thanks,
Jim.